Porthminster Beach - Can This Really Be In The UK?
Porthminster Beach is the lovely, big, sandy beach that sits below the train station in St Ives. It nearly always looks amazingly tropical, like a beach from a beautiful, hot island! It's not though, it really is right here in St Ives!
The beach sits nestled below a leafy promenade full of tropical plants. This is a lovely place to walk and sit just to admire the view.
The beach itself is a fine, sandy beach. Because of the direction it faces, the sea is usually much flatter and calmer. Surfers are best off going round to Porthmeor Beach. Porthminster Beach is great for flatter activities such as Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP), Kayaking and swimming.
Because it is usually much flatter and calmer, Porthminster Beach is very popular with young families.
Facilities On Porthminster Beach (seasonal)
- Very close to St Ives train station and car park
- Fish & Chip takeaway
- Beach bar (snacks, burgers, chips, drinks, ice creams)
- Award winning seafood restaurant (with cracking views!)
- Beach shop
- Deckchair, windbreak & parasol hire
- Garden bar
- Porthminster Garden
- Beach chalet hire
- Watersports (St Ives surf school)
- Mini golf
- United Beach Missions
- Lifeguarded during the Summer months
- Beach wheelchair hire (contact Porthminster Beach cafe)
- Access onto the beach is down a slope